Dell Inspiron Mini 1010 Netbook Review - 4/7
A newer version of this model has been released. See review.
Like Toshiba and Samsung, Dell too was one of the later entrants into the overly competitive netbook market. Their initial offering – the Mini 1010 is a weak offering. It has a few redeeming features such as the multiple colours and customizable covers, but overall Dell doesn’t do anything much different than other netbook makers. And the pricing point of the Mini 1010 is also a bit off.
Dell Inspiron Mini 1010 Netbook Review – Top Features
- Mobile – The Dell Mini 1010 impresses, in that it is among the thinnest and lightest of its peers.
- Processor Speed – The 1010 features the Z-series of processors, which means that video playback is smoother due to the superior graphics chipset.
- Impressive keyboard – Though not full-sized, the board is easy to type on.
- Digital TV Tuner – Pretty self-explanatory.
Dell Inspiron Mini 1010 Netbook Review – Drawbacks and things to keep in mind
- Touchpad – The mouse buttons have been integrated into the pad itself, and are very cramped.
- No VGA – Although the Mini 1010 does feature almost all the other ports we have come to expect in a netbook, it doesn’t have a VGA port which means connecting to a projector becomes difficult.
- Display chip – Even though the processor is better than the Atom N-series, Dell has teamed it up with an Intel 500 graphics media accelerator. This means 720p WMV files hiccup while playing and outputting video via HDMI is completely hopeless.
Dell Inspiron Mini 1010 Netbook Review -Ratings
- Price and Value for money – 0.25 Star. It’s not a bad netbook but in terms of what the competition is offering, this one is a loser.
- Speed and Performance – 0.75 Star. The speed is above average, with applications opening up in about 5-6 seconds. The performance is better because of the Z-series processor.
- Screen – 0.75 Star. The screen is nice and glossy with a resolution of 1366×768.
- Keyboard, Touchpad, Useability – 0.25 Star. While the keyboard is a nice size, its keys still fall short of the best ones out there. The touchpad is a definite flaw.
- Portability and Battery Life – 0.75 Star. The Mini 1010 weighs in at 3 pounds and that’s inclusive of the battery and the AC Adapter. Way to go. Battery life is decent.
- Looks and Design – 0.75 Star. The Mini 1010 comes in a variety of colours and has a nice solid build. The battery juts out a good inch though and this causes some drop in points.
- Connectivity and Extensibility – 0.5 Star. The Mini 1010 features most ports except a VGA, and its absence is strongly felt.
This gives the Mini 1010 an overall rating of 4 out of 7 Stars.
Dell Inspiron Mini 1010 Netbook Review – Our Recommendation
When it comes to netbooks, the most feature-laden or cheapest one doesn’t necessarily win. People have their quirks and manufacturers should not underestimate frills like design and the extra HDMI port. Having said that, the Dell Mini 1010 is a notch below its competitors. While some of you may like the build quality of Dell, there are better netbooks out there.
Dell Inspiron Mini 1010 Netbook Review – What have buyers on Amazon said?
- “The netbook that feels very light just a little under three pounds and practically smaller and skinnier then the new Twilight book.”
- “Very pretty color certainly doesn’t hurt. My first choice was Ice Blue, but red is nice as well.”
- “I really like the quality of their products.”
- “HORRIBLE with a lot of non-Youtube FLVs. YouTube works fine, but other video sites may look choppy, skip, or may not play at all. Even with Firefox!”
- “You need to learn how to type very carefully on this computer, because the Touchpad will make the act of typing an art of surgical precision, lest you upset the sensitive, cheap Taiwanese device”
- “A bit pricey in my opinion.”
The Dell Inspiron Mini 1010 Netbook is available on amazon starting from $388.
Dell Inspiron Mini 1010 Netbook Review – Technical Specifications
- OS: Windows XP
- CPU: Intel Atom Z530 1.6GHz processor
- RAM: 1GB RAM (1GB extendable)
- Storage Space: 160GB SATA HDD (5400rpm)
- Screen: 10.1 inch 1366×768 display, Integrated IGMA 500
- Connectivity: 3 USB ports, Ethernet jack, Headphone & microphone slot, HDMI, 3-in-1 card reader, 802.11b/g WLAN
- Battery: 6 cell Li-Ion battery
- Weight: 2.6 lbs