Toshiba Mini NB305 Netbook Review – 6.25/7
The Toshiba Mini NB305 is an update to one of our favorite netbooks – the NB205. Making a late entrance into the market, the NB205 stood out with an excellent keyboard, solid chassis and great battery life. Let’s see how the Pine Trail NB305 has been kitted out and how it stacks up against its predecessor and the competition.
Toshiba’s updated netbook model features a matte-plastic lid that thankfully does not catch fingerprints. It’s another solid chassis with no flex. We like the new design elements – the silver hinge, diagonally raised lines on the lid and the remodelled battery which now juts out only slightly from the underside. The NB305 is 1.4 inches thick and weighs a sprightly 2.8 lbs.
Toshiba Mini NB305 Review – Top Features
- Aesthetic Design – The NB305 looks sweet with the understated lid and undulating silver hinge. The build quality is excellent and when you grip this netbook, it really feels like its made of a singular block – there’s no give.
- Great Keyboard – Once again, one of the best netbook keyboards from Toshiba. The chiclet style keys have some kind of coating which feels soft to the touch.
- Large mouspad – The Toshiba NB305 is all about comfort and ease of use with this huge trackpad. It’s easily one of the biggest netbook pads. The buttons are crisp and responsive.
Toshiba Mini NB305 Netbook Review – Drawbacks and things to keep in mind
- Battery Life – Not that it’s much, but the NB305 has the same eight hours of life as its predecessor even with the Intel Atom N450 processor.
- No HDMI port and doesn’t play Hi-Def – Just in case you didn’t already know, while 720p videos run fine, anything above that stutters due to the Atom chip
Toshiba Mini NB305 Netbook Review – Ratings
- Price and Value for money – 1.0 Star. The NB305 costs $399 with a $349 version which features a simpler black lid and non chiclet keyboard. The NB305 is at the very top of the class when it comes to ease of use and that’s why even though its a bit on the expensive side, it get’s the top rating, generic viagra from india.
- Speed and Performance – 0.75 Star. The NB305 performs just as well as other netbooks with the same standard specs.
- Screen – 1.0 Star. The screen is a good one with vivid colors and nice viewing angles.
- Keyboard, Touchpad, Useability – 1.0 Star. The keyboard and trackpad combo are best in the business and make you forget that you’re using a netbook.
- Portability and Battery Life – 0.75 Star. This netbook is light enough and sleeker than its predecessor. The battery life is a decent eight plus hours in real world usage.
- Looks and Design – 1.0 Star. As mentioned before, we really like the design and solidity of this netbook.
- Connectivity and Extensibility – 0.75 Star. The WiFi is above-average. It features a standard set of ports, with an HDMI output being the only thing missing.
This gives the Toshiba Mini NB305 an overall rating of 6.25 out of 7 Stars.
Toshiba Mini NB305 Netbook Review – Our Recommendation
The NB305 may not have the battery life of the ASUS 1005PE or be available at the price bracket of the Acer AO532h, but the strongest thing it has going is its functionality. The keyboard and touchpad combination trump everything out there and the screen isn’t a bad one either. While the ASUS and Acer models will sell a chunkload, there will be a significant amount of interest in the NB305 and we can easily say you won’t be disappointed with this purchase.
Available on amazon for $399.99 (NB305-410 model) and $349.99 (NB305-310 model)
Toshiba Mini NB305 Netbook Review – Technical Specifications
- OS: Windows 7 Starter
- CPU: Intel Atom Processor N450 (1.66GHz, 512KB L2 cache, 667MHz FSB)
- Display & Graphics: 10.1 inch 1024 x 600 Display, Intel GMA 3150
- RAM: 1GB DDR2
- Storage: 250GB (5400RPM) SATA Hard Drive
- Connectivity: Multi-card reader, 802.11b/g/Draft-N, Ethernet LAN (RJ-45), VGA, 3 x USB 2.0 Ports
- Battery: 6-cell Li-ion Battery (8 hours)
- Weight: 2.8 lbs
- Colors: Blue, White, Brown
- Price: $399.99
Filed under: Toshiba Netbook Review